Monday, March 14, 2011

Snap and Paint

I think all painters appreciate good photography. I'm no expert but this is what I've discovered works for me.

Scout the streets with your camera in hand, taking video or stills (I do both). Download them and then take stills off the video. Once you've sorted your photos, pop them into a photo editor and play around.

I'd like to practice my colour mixing. So, I leave home with that in mind. If you like, I have an objective which isn't necessary, but it is helpful. Of course I also inadvertently practice composition. Moreover, it keeps me aware. Looking up and down, for light and shade, for faces, and well, anything that takes my eye.

So, below is an example of a photo I took today. The original and the 'colour saturated' copy. You can see the difference.

Lastly, if you'd like to join me on twitpic please do so. I call myself 'kiwicarioca' on twitter and twitpic. 'Kiwi' coming from my New Zealand roots, and 'Carioca' coming from the name for people living in Rio de Janeiro. Incidentally both names are indigenous names (not English) - 'kiwi' being a Maori name for an indigenous bird (not the fruit), and 'carioca' being the Guarani name given to the white settlers living in Rio de Janeiro.

That's it. Snap and paint.


No comments:

Post a Comment