Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Daily Paintings

I painted my coffee cup tonight on a little 6 inch by 6 inch canvas. Why? Well, I have all these 6 by 6 canvases hanging about my little enclave and I need to paint on them.

There's a movement afoot called 'daily painters'. People who paint small original artworks on a daily basis. Various articles have been written about them. I noticed Daily Painters a few years ago, and since then I've seen other sites popping up like Fresh Daily Painters and Daily Painting Originals. It's a good way to make a buck and sustain oneself, whilst working on larger works.

So, I'm tempted to join. I need to get into the habit I think, and practice my brush skills.

The problem I have with it is that a lot of the work on these sites doesn't suit my tastes. Don't ask why. I just find it uninteresting. Of course anyone could say that about what I paint. It's boring, weird, or just plain unattractive. That part doesn't worry me. I listen to what people have to say of course, but I also have to think who says it, and well there are a whole lot of other factors that come into it. I mean it's completely subjective. What does concern me is how I might fit in. I've been giving it some thought. I'm not much of a still life painter. I get bored easily. Daily Painters suit a more deligent, patient, and technically minded personality. Not like me. But, then today I was thinking of Giorgio Morandi. Now, his still lifes are captivating. Perhaps I could use bottles, vases and cups as a theme? I think it might be a good idea. Morandi, yes. So, if you're wondering why I start painting cups, saucers, vases, and bowls and things just think of Morandi.

My Coffee Cup.

IMGA0146

No comments:

Post a Comment